Thursday, March 10, 2011

4 Weeks Notice

Last Wednesday, I gave my notice at work to change my status from part-time to PRN, effective 3/30. My boss and supervisor were very supportive and understanding of my decision. While I love my patients, my priorities have just changed in the past 9 months. I never pictured myself as a stay-at-home mom; I always thought I would work full-time. My mother did it and I turned out okay! But as we got pregnant and throughout the pregnancy, we felt more peaceful about me staying on part-time than full-time, although we took a large pay-cut. I think it was a good decision because it helped me to cut down my work caseload significantly, spend plenty of time with Kaitlyn, yet still keep up my professional skills.

I've been back part-time for 6 months now, with my good friend being Kaitlyn's primary caregiver on Mondays and Wednesdays, and my mother-in-law being my back-up when Kaitlyn was sick. I always thought it would get easier dropping her off and going to work. It never did. Now, once I was at work and got focused on the daily tasks, I was fine. I thought it would be the perfect balance of work and staying home- but in a way, I felt like I never could give myself fully to either one. I would feel guilty if I wasn't with Kaitlyn when she was sick. I would feel guilty if I couldn't stay late at work to wrap things up. It was a difficult balance that I'm sure many working mothers deal with all the time.

After giving my notice this past week, I felt like a weight was lifted off my shoulders. I knew we had made the right decision for our family. Now the plan is for me to be like a substitute therapist- I will not be on a regular schedule (except thru April until they find a replacement and covering 1 weekend a month), and will rather fill in to cover full-time employee's vacations. This will keep my skills up and give me the fulfillment of working, yet only occasionally.

Let me be quick to say that I know not every woman has the option to stay home and many, if given the option would choose not to stay home. We all must do what we feel like is best for our families and for us personally! I am thankful that it is an option for us (although our lifestyles will have to change a bit!) I'm grateful for a supportive husband who is hard-working.

So what now? I get the summer off again (and this time don't have a newborn!) I'm really looking forward to more extended trips to Louisiana to visit my parents and grandparents. I'm also looking forward to having all the holidays off! Yea! I'm trying to think of creative, budget-minded traveling ideas with the family. I like having my priorities in order, and know that when the time comes again (perhaps when Kaitlyn or our youngest is school-age), I can easily find a job in my field. The good thing about a speech pathology degree is that I can use it all the time with my own child!

1 comment:

Natalie Ward said...

perfect...