Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Favorite Psalm

Tonight, as I sit her awake after a difficult day, I find comfort in my favorite Psalm (139).  I read it again today, like I was reading it for the first time.  A few things stood out to me this evening:
1.  Before a word is on my tongue the Lord knows it completely (v. 4).  He knows everything I have ever said or will ever say.  And He still loves me!
2.  God is always with me through the presence of the holy spirit.  v. 7 says, "Where can I go from your spirit and where can I flee from your presence?"  I can't.  Sometimes I want to run away and hide.  I cannot hide from God.  He loves me too much to let me hide.
3.  God has already written the book of my life before I was even born (v. 16).  God saw me in my mother's womb and knew the whole story of my life.  It is so nice to be that known by Him.   Who says we don't have a personal, loving creator, who is actively involved in our lives (provided we let Him be)?
4.  The Lord's thoughts are precious (one translation says "amazing") to me...What He thinks matters, and it should matter more than what anyone else thinks.  I want to be right with Him.
5.  I'm not so sure about v. 23 that asks God to "Test me and know my anxious thoughts"- but he already knows them.  I want to be tested by God and found approved.
6.  I trust that God will "lead me in the way everlasting."  He will lead me in the right direction as I seek Him.  He will be my guide.  I don't have to make every decision on my own, or between just me and Micah.  God will be our source and strength as we look to Him.  I am so thankful for a God who speaks to me, even when I sometimes have a hard time hearing His voice, He is faithful to get through to me somehow.

I love you, Lord.  And this Psalm is another proof that you love all of mankind.  You are truly amazing.

2 comments:

Natalie Ward said...

This is wonderful..

Mandy said...

good thoughts, I actually felt lead to read that one last week during lg :)