Wednesday, September 07, 2011

NESTS

Our church does a mom's ministry twice monthly called "nests." It is a place where you can come, be encouraged in the word, and be mentored by "seasoned" mothers. They provide childcare for your children so that you can focus and participate for 3 hours without distractions. Last year, I was unable to be a part of Nests because I worked on Mondays and Wednesdays and they meeton Wednesdays.
I'm very grateful to be involved this year. We had our first meeting today and it was so good. The brunch was excellent and it gives Kaitlyn time to interact and play with other children (in addition to Sunday morning and Monday parents-day-out). Our speaker today, Rachel Lee, a "famous" blogger, had a good message: (Her blog is http://inspiredtoaction.com/)
Rachel's first point is to know that you are a good mom. You love your children well. You are giving your all. Stop comparing yourself to others. You are the perfect mother for the children God gave you.
Then she listed some tools to help transform your perspective on being a mom:
1. Don't look at life too closely (as if looking through a microscope) or you will miss the beauty of it. Make a "Mom" mission statement. What is your purpose in mothering your children? What is your long-term goal? Look at the end from the beginning and decide where you are heading with your children.
2. Have smaller goals that are tied into that mission statement. What is my goal for Kaitlyn in this season of life? I certainly want her to be able to communicate. I want her to interact with other children well. I want her to learn how to obey us.
3. Change your circumstances. She recommended reading the book "1000 Gifts," which teaches you to be thankful in all situations, even when doing mundane tasks such as the laundry. Learn to embrace the moments. Remember that sometimes the days are long, but the years are short.
4. Stay inspired by resting. Get sleep! Allow for regular retreats (either 2 hours at a coffee shop one evening or maybe a yearly retreat with other moms). Nothing inspires you when you are weary, so don't stay in that place.
5. We will only stay truly inspired to parent well if we make Jesus central in our homes. He is the source of life, joy and peace. Give him your "loaves and fish" (whatever time you have, even if it's just a few minutes) and trust Him to multiply that time.
Be excited about being a mom! You are the most important person in the world to your children. Then she shared this video that Taylor Swift made for her mom. A real tear jerker, for sure!
www.youtube.com/watch?v=dtA3H_aDris

3 comments:

Mandy said...

thanks for sharing - I am so sad I missed it today but I am getting the tape but even though snippets gave me some needed encouragements :)

Mandy said...

PS. :) that book - 1,000 Gifts is A-MAZ-ING! Maybe one of the most impactful books (next to the Bible) I have ever read and I am not even half way through

Joyce said...

What a blessing to see so many moms at NEST. I feel very blessed to be able to be listed as a "mentor mom" but I am also so blessed to be apart of what you mom's are learning so I can use the information for my grandchildren. Mandy and Holly - thanks for giving your time where others could receive. Let's all pray for workers so you two can be in the meeting. hugs