Friday, December 03, 2010

Thankful

A couple of weeks ago, our pastor challenged us to set our phones/ watches for every hour, and to take a minute to ATL- Acknowledge God's presence, be Thankful, and Listen to His voice.  So from 6 AM until 10 PM, our phones go off on the hour to remind us to do so.  It has been a challenge, but it has helped me to focus on the Lord more throughout the day.  So often, I spend time with Him in the morning through prayer and Bible study, and then as the day goes on, drift further and further away from the sound of His voice.
Usually, at Thanksgiving I spend at least an hour journaling about all of the things that I am thankful for.  I will give you the 3 minute version:
 I am thankful that I am a child of God- that He loves me, cares deeply for me, and wants to be actively involved in my life.  I can't imagine what my life would be like if I were not a Christian.
 I am thankful to be a wife of an awesome husband- who provides for us, who is encouraging, and who I love deeply.  I am thankful that he is also my best friend.
I am so grateful to be a mommy.  Kaitlyn is such a joy and has been long anticipated.  She is a miracle!
I am thankful for our extended family- parents, siblings, grandparents, cousins etc.  We are loved.  We have been provided for.
I am thankful for the friendships God has blessed me with- from my best friend of 22 years, to some of my closest friends in our church group now.  Being an only child, friendships have been really important to me throughout my life.
I am thankful for God's provision through our jobs.  That we both enjoy what we do and that we both like to help people.  We have never been without food, shelter, vehicles etc.  We are blessed.

Just because Thanksgiving is over, doesn't mean we should ever stop being thankful, on a daily basis (if not an hourly basis) for all that God has done for us.  Lord, help me to be "overflowing with thankfulness" (Colossians 2:7).

No comments: